Friday, January 11, 2013

Top Six Pictures of Things I Have Seen


And what I thought about them – at the time and later on. Let’s start 2013 with a bang!

By “a bang” I mean of course some random bits and pieces that would not warrant a blog post in their own right but which it is technically possible to argue have a unifying theme.

So here we go.

Walking my dogs in the woods, I came across this (left) carved upon a big stone.

It says “Solvitur Ambulando”, which is Latin for “solve it by walking”. Considering my largely unsuccessful attempts to solve my incipient obesity by walking last year, I was somewhat sceptical of the sentiment, but the more I have thought about it, the better it becomes.

There are not many problems that don’t benefit from a bit of a walk – although my wife (Elvira of Castille - you know by now) is not in agreement with Diogenes of Sinope that you can “solve” a dispute by “walking” away from it.

A little bit of wisdom found in the woods for you there.


A day trip saw us pass by the road to hell (above) and found the Sicilies in a very weird place called Botany Bay near Chorley, where we encountered this mysterious object to the left. What is it, you ask?

Why, a traditional garden obelisk, of course.

A what?

A TRADITIONAL GARDEN OBELISK! Obviously. 

It creates height and interest in beds and borders!

I must confess that have never come across the tradition of having an obelisk in one’s garden. Perhaps it’s an Egyptian thing.

Also at Botany Bay, I came across this, to the right. A spiked carving dish. So far, so mundane.

But what is that extra feature I see?

A GRAVY WELL!

All this time, we’ve been making our gravy from granules when I could have been hauling it up in a bucket from an underground stock aquifer in Denmark. Who knew?

Back to the real world and I show you Boston FC’s car park on Christmas Day 2012. 

As you can see, it was quite floody. The heavy rain had waterlogged the local vinegar mine as well. 







And finally, I give you the acceptable face of Lincolnshire racism. Stay classy Boston!


No comments:

Post a Comment