Friday, August 16, 2013

Now We Are Three

It is three years on Tuesday since I started writing this blog.

Looking back, I see that I used to write a lot more serious social and political stuff - “a lot more serious” by own standards, I mean. I honestly don’t have opinions on many of the sorts of news events I used to comment on. It’s not that I don’t care... well, actually it is.

I feel like “the world” one sees through the mediation of the media (that’s what it does – hence the name) as opposed to what I see through my own eyes is too nauseating to think very hard about.

Another riot? Another massacre? More corruption? Impending doom? Meh.

What good is another opinion, echoing something someone has already said? What could I add to any debate?

Knowledge isn’t power – knowing just makes you realise how powerless you are.

Where’s the point of satire when reality is already beyond parody or is just so awful that to make a joke of it would be sickening?

And so I have written more and more about my life and my own perspective, throwing in a regular bit of bathos to make it amusing. Every time.

What am I doing this for? For the same 40 or so of you – for which I am very grateful, I might add – to carry on reading it week after week?

In the words of Emo Philips (who my wife hates, but who I think is a genius):
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

No comments:

Post a Comment