Thursday, January 6, 2011

Dear Amazon...

I only received one email on Christmas Day, and that was from my dear friends at Amazon.co.uk, telling me about all the Boxing Day bargains they were offering.

This seemed the height of optimism, considering all the millions of parcels Amazon had failed to deliver prior to Christmas, thanks to the completely unprecedented combination of bad weather and a rise in usage of postal services during December.

Whether the backlog is cleared now, I suppose we'll never know as the media tends not to follow problems up once they start to be resolved.

And while I was grateful for that lonely Christmas Day email – having dropped my phone down a toilet on Christmas Eve, I was delighted to see that it was still working – I must admit to getting a bit sick of Amazon's endless torrent of spam into my inbox.

Where they get the idea that I am interested in pet carriers, Brita water filters or Evans Lichfield cushions – just a selection of today's offers - I don't know.

And are Kindles really that popular? Amazon seems awfully keen on them. Oh hang on, they manufacture them as well as selling them.

I used to think Amazon was awesome for its ability to recognise visitors and make intelligent recommendations, but like the rest of the internet – especially Google – its clamouring for attention just makes less inclined to visit.

1 comment:

  1. Today's recommendation from Amazon? A £50 leather case for...a Kindle! They know me so well!

    ReplyDelete