Thursday, January 27, 2011

There is a snake in my pocket

I know I promised an article on baby poo when I next returned to the matter of science, but that has fallen by the wayside after I discovered this (pictured) on coming into my office this morning.

My iPod headphones had somehow wrapped themselves around one of my chair's wheels. It took me quite a while to extract them.

This is an extreme example of a phenomenon that has been troubling me for some time:

How is it possible that you can put headphones into your pocket in some degree of good order, only to take them out moments later a gigantic, tight mess of knots?

I can only conclude that they are living entities, which start moving as soon as you take your eyes off them so as to entangle themselves (sort of) like the ourobouros of legend.

Or perhaps alternatively, there are unseen pocket-forces at work, causing the cable to tie itself up?

On the train, I see a lot of people wearing headphones. I don't see them wrestling with them like I have to every day. What am I doing wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment