Thursday, April 7, 2011

A reet Yorkshire day out

Last Sunday, the family and I went on an outing to Settle in the Dales.

Here is the receipt showing what we had to eat. How much more Yorkshire can you get than that?

Leaving aside the peculiarity of the name "Ye Olde Naked Man Cafe"- an establishment dating back to the 1660s, when presumably it was acceptable to naked and old in the north of England - it was a fine day out. Thankfully, Roger Jr did not ask what a naked man is.

Despite being Lincolnshire folk originally, and moving up here from Surrey, we are adapting quickly to Yorkshire habits. We have a whippet. I wear a flat cap. I inhaled sharply when I saw the price of Sheep Biscuits.

In the words of Victoria Wood, "You may not be from Yorkshire, but you're just as boring as if you were". That's us.

We have yet, however, to take some things, like Rugby League, "breadcakes" and casual racism into our hearts.

I still find it shocking when complete strangers (most recently an estate agent) throw complaints about "The Asians" into conversation. Have I got a racist-looking face? Perhaps there are some things - like Lincs' own stuffed chine - you have to be a native to appreciate.

Anyway, old naked men notwithstanding, Settle is a lovely little town which I'd recommend to anyone. I've never seen such a concentration of hardware stores in such a small area.

And if you need any "Bottogas", well Dugdales is the place for you.

Come on, I know it's from the '50s or earlier, but the name "Bottogas" would have suggested farting to Queen Victoria, let alone anyone in the present day.

No comments:

Post a Comment