Monday, June 20, 2011

The mind is not a muscle

Suppose you have a 35-year-old car. It probably has a bit of wear and tear and a lot of miles on the clock, but you want to keep it in good condition. What do you do?

Most people would lock it up in a garage, put a sheet over it etc etc – broadly, they would not use it so as to prevent further deterioration.

So why is it then, that my efforts to preserve my 35-year-old body and brain by not using them have been so unsuccessful?

I'd say they've actually made things worse.

And if - as when presented with a crappy gift - one instinctively leaps to insist that it's "the thought that counts" have the hours, days, week and months I've spent thinking about getting physically fit had NO EFFECT?

I'm starting to think that the thought doesn't count at all. The hypocrisy of it disgusts me.

3 comments:

  1. Thinking through the sheer electro-chemical process of it all, does indeed burn calories.

    Whether it prevents a bad back, obesity or indeed obsolescence is indeed another matter.

    I may be so bold as to suggest cod liver oil as a preventative for the inevitable onset of mid-life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also reserve my right to repeat "indeed" incessantly.

    Thanks for observing said right.

    Amen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking may *indeed* burn calories A pot of jam, but it's not my brain I have to face the embarrassing prospect of flopping out in public over the summer.

    ReplyDelete